Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cheap Cemetery Fence

I have been wanting to build a cheap cemetery fence for quit a while, and I finally got around to it.  The idea was to build an 8 foot section from a 2x4.  The picture below shows a single 2x4 ripped into top and bottom rails, and 4 8' pickets to cut the final pickets from.


I chose to make 3', 3'4:, 3'8" and 4' pickets.  I build 5 8' sections, and 2 4' section using 6 2x4's.


Then I cast finales and post caps, since 41 finales would cost a lot to buy.  I used 1:1 mix of silicon caulk and cornstarch to build molds for some small skull heads, and larger ghoul head I had picked up over the years.  Since I had so many to make, I cast the skull heads in plaster.  When they were set, I drilled 3/8" hole in the bottom of each, and glued in a 2" piece of 3/8" dowel.  Then I dipped the whole thing in polyurethane, then painted flat black finished with a dry brushing of metallic copper acrylics. The post toppers were cast in paper mache paste, and finished the same as the skulls.



The fence posts are built from 1 1/4" PVC.  3/8" dowels glued into the end of the rails are inserted into holes in the PVC posts.  Some pictures of the finished fence sections are below.




3 comments:

  1. These skulls are quite scary but what a creativity I see in your work. Great work folk. Keep it up and keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can be used to grow plants, like raspberries because they offer support as the plants grow along, and up the fence or between two fences. A bacyard fence will also keep garden borders and rows straight. Straight lines usually improve a garden's visual appearance.industrial fencing

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very useful post for me. This will absolutely going to help me in my project. spell to make someone fall in love with you

    ReplyDelete